The Governance of St. Joseph’s School is led via an Academy Council. Members of the Academy Council welcome your observations upon the school.
If you would like to contact the Academy Council, please write to the Chair of the Academy Council c/o the school or contact via the School Office on 01977 555 780. All complaints should be addressed to the Headteacher, in the first instance, in line with school policy.
The Academy Council of St Josephs Catholic Primary School makes a real difference in helping the school to provide the best possible education for each and every one of its pupils. Together with the Headteacher and the Leadership team they lead the school, setting the vision. The whole Academy Council meets many times each year. The Academy Council is organised into various committees which also meet each term.
The three core functions of an Academy Council, as reflected in Ofsted’s inspection criteria are:
- Setting vision, ethos and strategic direction, engaging stakeholders, and ensuring statutory duties are met;
- Holding heads to account for teaching, achievement, behaviour and safety; challenging and strengthening leadership; contributing to school self-evaluation;
- Ensuring financial solvency and probity with effective management of financial resources, including the Pupil Premium, to raise standards.
They are also responsible for specific actions such as ensuring that there is a procedure in place for handling complaints; approving the school budget; and appointing the headteacher.
Academy Council members are made up of the following:
• Parents elected by the schools parents
• Staff at the school elected by the school staff
• Foundation Academy Council Members appointed by the Bishop
The current members of the Academy Council are:
Mrs P Holmes
Chair of Academy Council / Foundation Academy Council Member
Mrs A Birch
Vice Chair of Academy Council / Foundation Academy Council Member
Fr John Aveyard
Foundation Academy Council Member (Parish Priest)
Mr J Grady
Associate Academy Council Member
Mr M Johnson
Foundation Academy Council Member
Miss S Haley
Staff Academy Council Member
Mr G Rowlands
Parent Academy Council Member
Mrs Sarah Spencer