Physical Education & Sport
Curriculum PE Overview
We aim for all children at St Joseph’s to be physically active and have a good understanding of healthy lifestyles. Physical Education (PE) at St Joseph’s is age appropriate and children are challenged to develop their skill acquisition in a range of sporting activities. At each stage of learning, children should be able to demonstrate a high level of fitness, activity and knowledge of healthy lifestyles.
We intent to do this by:
- Ensuring a high quality PE curriculum
- Support the curriculum with the Sports Premium Grant
- Offer children a range of extra curricular activities
- Develop a positive culture of sport and recognise this with the School Games Mark
- Develop the whole child – physically, mentally, socially, and creatively
Long, medium and short term planning that challenges pupils to develop physically in a wide range of sports and activities. In Year 4, children will develop their water confidence and water safety in a year long swimming programme.
- Will participate in CPD to develop their understanding of the new scheme to support the teaching of PE
- Use the SMART principle to develop PE activities and ensure differentiation takes place within a lesson
- Have high expectations of pupils within the lessons
- Work with Wakefield SSP to deliver high quality PE lessons and conduct assessment of pupils’ ability
- Accurate records of assessment, including, swimming data, AND Golden Mile fitness data, show the level of participation
- Recorded data shows the increase in activity/fitness as pupils progress through the school and children should be accessing a range of sporting opportunities
- With the opportunities provided to the pupils through curriculum and extra curricular planning, pupils will speak openly about the positive experiences they have had within primary school
- Staff will feel confident in delivering high quality PE, which is differentiated and challenges all abilities
- Develop physical skills, habits and interests that promote healthy lifestyles
- Develop positive attitudes to physical endeavours including perseverance, fair play and sporting behaviour, and the ability to cope with success and failure
- Learn how physical exercise affects the body
- Understand the need for safe practice in physical activities and know how to achieve this.
Year Group Long Term Plans
Progression of Skills